You may have noticed that the sun has finally decided to make an appearance. When there’s sun there’s barbecues, and when there’s barbecues there’s usually something burnt – and we’re not just talking about the tip of your nose. Try our 3 fail-safe ideas that’ll shoo you in as official boss of the barbecue.
1. Purton House Beef Burgers with Brioche Buns and New Potato Salad
This coming together of dishes (above), takes the usual BBQ fare up a notch whilst leaving lots of room for lounging over a cool beer.
- Once your grill is hot, using the back of a spoon, pop an indentation in the middle of your burger – this allows for the centre pushing up in cooking.
- Place the burger indentation side up and if you have a lid, use it.
- Cook for 4-5 mins on each side and serve with toasted brioche buns, boiled new potatoes served with chopped parsley, capers, shallots and a few rocket leaves from Wild Country Organics.
2. Ambu Tree Spicy Tandoori Chicken Wings
It almost isn’t a BBQ without wings, and thanks to Ambu Tree you can enjoy a fresh, gluten free marinade with little effort.
- Rub a pot of marinade over 1 kilo of chicken wings. (You can use straightaway or for a deeper flavour, marinade overnight).
- Get the BBQ on a low heat, lightly brush BBQ grates with oil to prevent sticking.
- Mix one tablespoon of oil into all the marinated chicken immediately before placing on BBQ.
- Grill the chicken wings for 12-15 minutes on each side until they’re slightly charred.
- Brush lightly with oil once or twice during the cooking process to keep chicken moist.
- For extra zing, serve with sprinkles of fresh coriander alongside finely sliced red onions marinated in a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice.
3. Park Farm Lamb Steaks, Rocket Salad and Newton & Pott Gin Pickled Cucumbers
These lamb steaks are so fresh from the farm that just a little seasoning and simple accompaniments are all they really need.
- Half an hour before placing your lamb steaks on the grill, drizzle with olive oil, and a little pepper and crushed cumin seeds.
- Cook for about 5-6 minutes on each side, depending on how rare you like it!
- Serve with a rocket salad with roasted squash and feta cheese, tomatoes, (such as Chegworth Valley Dasher Tomatoes) and a cracking condiment such as Newton & Pott’s Gin Pickled Cucumbers.