This healthy vegetarian rice bowl uses Nojo’s white miso sauce to give a rich, savoury taste with minimal effort and without lots of different ingredients. Slow roasting the aubergines gives them a delicious texture and flavour that pairs perfectly with miso.
- Serves 2
- 60 minutes (hands on time 20 minutes)
- Vegetarian, vegan, gluten free
- 1 medium/large aubergine
- 100g brown rice
- 1 small pak choi
- 2 spring onions
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- ½ small red chilli
- 2 tbsps Nojo white miso sauce
- Sesame oil
- Preheat the oven to 200C. Cut the aubergine in ½ lengthwise and score a crisscross pattern with a sharp knife and sprinkle with salt.
- Once the oven is at temperature, put the aubergine halves cut side down onto a greaseproof paper lined baking tray and roast for 30 minutes or until soft.
- Rinse the rice under cold water, then cook in salted boiling water according to pack instructions – around 30 minutes. Once cooked drain well and toss in a bowl with a little sesame oil.
- While the rice is cooking, toast the sesame seeds in a dry pan until lightly golden, then remove from the pan immediately to stop them burning. Finely slice the spring onions and finely chop the chilli.
- When the aubergines are soft, carefully turn over and drizzle with a little sesame oil and cook for 10 minutes until lightly browned. Brush 1tbsp Nojo sauce over the top and roast for another 10 minutes.
- Cut the pak choi in half lengthways and steam for 3-4 minutes until tender. Drain well.
- Divide the rice between two bowls, top each with a piece of pak choi and an aubergine half. Drizzle the rice with 1 tbsp Nojo sauce and sprinkle with the sliced spring onions, chopped chilli and toasted sesame seeds.