A warming bowl of cheesy polenta topped with rich mushroom ragout makes a delightful dinner.
- Serves 4
- 30 minutes
– 250g organic mixed mushrooms
– 2 organic shallots, chopped
– 1 organic garlic clove, chopped
– 1/2 an organic lemon, juiced
– 80ml white wine
– 1.2 ltr vegetable stock
For the Polenta
– 200g polenta
– 40g organic butter
– 40g organic parmesan (or vegetarian parmesan)
– 1 sprig of organic rosemary, finely chopped
1. Heat a glug of olive oil in a frying pan and add the shallots and mushrooms. Fry for 5 minutes on a high heat.
2. Stir in the garlic then add the white wine. After a minute add 200ml of stock. Simmer for 20 minutes, to soften the mushrooms and reduce the liquid.
3. For the polenta, bring a litre of stock to the boil in a saucepan. Whisk in the polenta, in a steady stream.
4. Cook the polenta for 5 minutes, continuously stirring, until it thickens.
5. Stir in the rosemary, butter and parmesan to the polenta. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
6. When the mushroom ragout is thickened, add the lemon juice, taste and season with salt and pepper.
7. Serve a spoonful of polenta, with the mushroom ragout piled on top and shavings of parmesan.