This Italian classic is simple to make, but the best quality ingredients really make it shine.
- Serves 2
- 15 minutes
– 200g Maltby & Greek fettuccine (or tagliatelle, linguine or spaghetti)
– 150g pancetta or diced bacon
– 1 onion, chopped
– 1 clove of garlic, chopped
– 2 egg yolks
– 40g parmesan, grated
– salt and pepper
1. Put a large pan of salted water on to boil. Cook the pasta according to the pack instructions, then drain and reserve some of the cooking water.
2. Meanwhile, add a glug of olive oil to a frying pan. Fry the pancetta until golden, then remove from the pan with a slotted spoon.
3. Fry the onion on a medium heat in the pancetta fat until soft, then add the garlic and fry for 30 seconds. Return the pancetta to the pan and turn off the heat.
4. Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl with a pinch of salt and pepper, and the parmesan.
5. Once the pasta is drained return it to the pan, off the heat, and quickly stir in the egg mixture. Fold in the pancetta mix, and add some of the pasta water until you have a loose consistency. Serve with a sprinkling of parmesan on top.