Ready in under 10 minutes, a recipe by Olia Hercules, photo credit Yuki Sugiura.
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, tough outer stalks removed
- 150g rhubarb
- 150g radishes
- 2 tbsp mild olive oil
- 300g mackerel fillets
- 2 brioche buns, sliced in half, or 4 slices from a brioche loaf
- Mix the lemon juice with the sugar, some salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Trim the fennel and remove the tough outer stalks. Reserve the fennel fronds.
- Slice the rhubarb, radishes and fennel as thinly as you possibly can. Immediately toss them in the seasoned lemon juice to avoid oxidisation and to pickle them slightly. Add the fennel fronds and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Season the mackerel fillets and pan fry them skin-side down first for 2 minutes over a medium heat. Carefully flip the fillets over with a spatula and cook for another minute.
- Stuff the buns with the mackerel and the rhubarb coleslaw and enjoy!