Our friends at Rude Health have started a flipping amazing fundraising campaign to help feed vulnerable children. Through the power of community, they hope to raise £100,000 to provide 80,000 meals to children and their families. You can support this important cause by donating here.
Chefs in Schools transform school food by pairing restaurant quality chefs with schools in areas with high need. Their approach radically transforms the quality of food all kids enjoy each day whilst teaching essential life skills.
Their ever important job, has become even more essential during COVID-19. 37% of children eligible for Free Schools Meals haven’t received any food or support yet. This leaves 507K children without access to Free School Meals [Food Foundation’s latest YouGov survey].
Chefs in Schools are working with school staff, chefs and volunteers to provide meals to vulnerable children who no longer have access to free school meals. Chefs in Schools is sending out the equivalent of 14,000 meals a week and expects to see that figure rise. #Flip2Feed will help them meet demand.
How Can You Help?
Flip: Your pancake on social media using #Flip2Feed
Feed: Donate to Chefs in Schools
Nominate: Five people to do the same
Not on social media? Flipping not your forte? No bother. You can still get involved by donating and sharing their fundraising page on email, WhatsApp or wherever you normally communicate.
Coconut Milk Pancakes with Rhubarb & Strawberry Compote
Celebrate the best seasonal British fruit with this decadent pancake recipe, perfect for a weekend breakfast with a difference. Whip up a simple vegan pancake batter with Rude Health Coconut Drink and top with a tangy rhubarb, strawberry and orange compote.
- Serves 4
- 45 minutes
- Vegetarian, vegan, dairy free
– 300g self raising flour
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 2 tbsp golden caster sugar
– A pinch salt
– 400ml Rude Health coconut drink
– Neutral oil & vegan butter for frying
– 250g rhubarb, ends trimmed, cut into 2 inch pieces
– 30g caster sugar
– 175g strawberries, hulled and halved
– Zest and juice of ½ orange
– Coconut yoghurt to serve (optional)
- Add the rhubarb, sugar, orange juice and zest to a saucepan and simmer over a low heat with the lid on for 5-8 minutes until soft but still holding its shape.
- Turn off the heat, stir through the strawberry halves, pop the lid back on and leave to one side while you make the pancake batter.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre, pour in the coconut milk and slowly whisk together to combine, gradually adding the flour from the edges of the bowl to avoid creating lumps until you have a smooth thick batter – add another splash of coconut milk if very thick.
- Heat a knob of vegan butter and splash of neutral oil in a large frying pan. Once melted and foaming add 2 tbsps of batter at a time to the centre of the pan and smooth out slightly into a neat circle. Fry until bubbles appear in the top and then flip over and fry until golden on both sides, keep warm in a low oven. Repeat with the rest of the batter, this will make 12-14 pancakes.
- Serve the pancakes topped with the fruit compote, syrup and a couple of dollops of coconut yoghurt.