Superfood Bakery was founded in 2017 by Ksenia and Tania; university friends and entrepreneurs with a passion for cooking delicious and healthy food (particularly sweet treats). The time constraints of a busy student lifestyle meant that one day, the pair went looking for a pre-packed baking mix to satisfy their sweet cravings. To say they were disappointed with what they found on the supermarket shelves would be an understatement. The baking mixes they found were not only full of sugar and unwanted numbers and additives that neither of them wanted to put in their bodies, but completely devoid of nutrients.
So what started as a personal quest to satisfy their own sweet teeth in a delicious and nourishing way, became a mission to change the way we make and eat desserts as a nation (and beyond).
In addition to creating nutritious mixes with ingredients that actually resemble food (rather than just sugar, numbers and additives), accessibility has always been key to Tania and Ksenia. From those early days of recipe testing in their shared flat in London, it has always been important that everyone can bake and enjoy their mixes; from first-time and time-pushed bakers (busy mums and students we are looking at you!), to more accomplished bakers and passionate foodies. It was also important to the duo that those with dietary requirements could also enjoy their mixes.
They set about sourcing all-natural and organic ingredients, baking, recipe testing and found (with delight) that there was a demand for what they were creating; a demand which has only continued to grow as more and more people are more conscious of what they put in their bodies and the bodies of their loved ones.
The range now consists of cookies, brownies, pancakes, banana bread, chocolate cake and most recently, a protein range consisting of cookies and pancakes and a lemon loaf. The mixes are all-natural, dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan-friendly and organic, without compromising on taste. They are super easy to bake, require no fancy electrical equipment and only a few extra ingredients.
Chocolate & Tahini Brownie Cupcakes
For the Brownie Cupcakes:
- 1 packet Superfood Bakery Organic Joy Makers Brownie Mix
- 100g (1/2 cup) water
- 75g vegetable oil/vegetable spread or melted unsalted butter
- 20g (1 tablespoon) agave/maple syrup
- 50g Vegan Cream Cheese
- 15ml Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 15ml Low Calorie Liquid Chocolate
- 20g Chocolate Tahini
- 10g Dark Chocolate, cut into fine shards
- Line a muffin tray with cupcake holders.
- Make the batter as per the instructions on the box and divide into the cupcake holders.
- Once baked, scoop out a little of the top of the cupcake to create a small well. Fill with caramel tahini or any tahini.
- To make the frosting, blend together the cream cheese, almond milk and liquid chocolate.
- Top each cupcake with the frosting. Top the frosting with a little chocolate tahini and sprinkle over some dark chocolate shards.
We believe life is all about balance and encourage you to get creative and put your own stamp on our mixes by playing around with extra ingredients and flavours – or keep it simple, it’s up to you! You can find even more recipes and inspiration on our Blog and Instagram. In the meantime.