Whole Baked Cauliflower Cheese
1 hour 15 mins
Nothing says comfort like golden, bubbling cauliflower cheese. We like to bake the cauliflower whole with its leaves still intact, so they turn crispy when roasted. Two types of cheese and a dollop of mustard makes the sauce rich and creamy, with a scattering of pine nuts for a crunchy, nutty topping.
Here’s how you do it
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Using a sharp knife cut out the hard stalk from the cauliflower, keeping as many of the leaves intact, and place the whole cauliflower in a baking dish root side up, with any leaves that have fallen off scattered around it.
- Wash the leek, slice it into coins and scatter around the dish. Melt 1/2 the butter and pour over the cauliflower. Sprinkle with a good pinch of salt and pop in the oven for 20 minutes until it is beginning to brown.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by adding the remaining butter to a saucepan. Heat until melted then add the flour. Stir and cook for 30 seconds before adding a splash of milk. Continue to gradually add the milk, stirring, until you have a smooth sauce. Season with salt and pepper, stir in the dijon mustard.
- Stir in most of both of the cheeses to the sauce, keeping some to sprinkle on top.
- Bring the cauliflower out of the oven and flip it over so that the head is showing. Pour the cheese sauce all over the cauliflower then sprinkle over the remaining cheddar, followed by the pine nuts. Bake in the oven for a further 20 minutes until the cauliflower is cooked through and tender.
- Remove from the oven and leave to stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting into wedges; drizzle with the cheese sauce to serve.
- 1 organic cauliflower
- 1 organic leek
- 100g organic butter
- 70g parmesan, grated
- 100g organic cheddar, grated
- 600ml whole milk
- a handful of pine nuts
What you'll need
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
- 60g plain flour
- Salt and pepper