It’s the classic post-Christmas conundrum, what the hell am I going to do with all the turkey leftovers? Well don’t worry, we’ve created a load of delicious new recipes to help you make the most of your roast and create tasty waste free meals for the days following Christmas, plus our top tips for using your leftovers safely.
Need some turkey cooking tips? Read our ultimate guide to stress free turkey cooking. Or if this year you’re going for something a bit different, here’s our guide to alternative roasts. All of the recipes below can also be made with chicken, cockerel, duck, goose, or leftover cooked ham.
Safety first: top leftover turkey tips:
- Let your turkey cool completely then take the remaining meat off the bone and chill or freeze, portioned, within 2 hours. The meat will keep 2-3 days in the fridge, or properly wrapped in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- Use the carcass to make stock (see the ramen recipe) – you can freeze this too as long as your bird hasn’t previously been frozen. Use the stock within 24 hours whether its fresh or defrosted.
- Don’t reheat turkey or other roast meat more than once, so just reheat what you’re using for a specific meal.
- If your turkey is a bit dry, pour leftover gravy or stock over it and gently reheat in a 180C oven to moisten.
Turkey Leftover Recipes
Boxing Day Pie
Use any leftover meat, ham, sprouts and even roast veg in this comforting pie flavoured with mustard, creme fraiche and wine. Homemade flakey rough puff pastry adds a decadent finishing touch.
Christmas Bird Biryani
Bridget Jones’ favourite turkey curry gets an update with this gently spiced biryani, finished with fresh coriander and crunchy toasted almonds – perfect after all the rich flavours of Christmas food.
The ultimate no waste meal, this ramen recipe uses stock made from the carcass of your roast, plus leftover shredded roast meat to finish. Fresh ginger, chilli and spring onions are brilliant for adding zest and freshness.
Rich and comforting, this slow cooked rustic cassoulet is a great way to use up any leftover roast meat or even sausages and pigs and blankets! Finish with hunks of bread grilled to a crispy brown in the oven.
A classic for a reason, this is the ultimate Christmas day night or boxing day treat, with a gravy soaked layer of bread in the middle to keep it juicy.
– A handful of leftover turkey (white and brown meat)
– 5 tbsps leftover gravy
– 50g leftover stuffing
– 3 thick slices bread
– 1 tbsp softened butter
– 1 tbsp bread sauce
– 1 tbsp cranberry sauce
– a handful of rocket
- In a deep frying pan warm the turkey with 2 tbsps gravy then remove and keep warm. Refry your stuffing until crisp and hot in a separate pan.
- In the turkey frying pan warm the remaining gravy and dunk a slice of bread, soak for 20 seconds.
- Butter the other two slices of bread.
- To assemble, place one slice of bread butter side up and spread with bread sauce. Add a layer of turkey, followed by the gravy soaked slice of bread.
- Add the stuffing, finish with the rocket and cranberry sauce and then top with the other slice of bread. Use a skewer to keep the sandwich layers together and tuck in immediately.